So you want to date an entrepreneur, huh?….then consider these 7 points first!
Ever since the hit show “Shark Tank” came on air, a TV show featuring aspiring entrepreneurs, people have begun to pursue their passion to become an entrepreneur. Both young and old, rich and poor have set out to achieve the American dream. Entrepreneurs are highly driven, super ambitious and very passionate about what they do and how they contribute to society. To the average person, loving them can be very challenging, especially when you don’t understand their way of life. To help guide you in this process, I will share with you a few insights into this world and how you may improve your chances of unlocking the key to their hearts.
Ever since I started my own business, dating has been challenging. It’s become easier as I’ve grown in my craft but when I first started my business, dating took a back seat to everything else in my life. My social life was non-existent, my friends barely saw me, and my family thought I was a foreigner. But the vision for my life was clear and the only way I could accomplish my goals was to isolate myself from the world while I pursue my passion.
Becoming an entrepreneur is no doubt one of the toughest things a person will ever do in life. There are no real vacations until you’re financially solid, you work 24/7 sometimes at the sacrifice of your family and everyone you meet becomes a potential client. In other words, there are no “off” days. When everyone is at home enjoying the holidays with their family, an entrepreneur may be taking emergency calls from their clients.
I share this with you because I want you to have a better understanding of the life of an entrepreneur. You see, everyone wants to be an entrepreneur but doesn’t want to make the sacrifice to become one. In other words, people want the freedom of entrepreneurship without all the work necessary to achieve that level of freedom. Only the strong survive in this arena. Successful entrepreneurs know how hard it takes to become successful and are willing to go that extra mile to achieve that success. And if you want to date one, you had better be willing to go that extra mile too!
From my observations of many entrepreneurs, I have come up with a list of 7 points to consider in your desire to date an entrepreneur or an aspiring one!
· Quality Time (or lack thereof) – As an entrepreneur, you’re essentially on call 24/7 because your business is your baby. You have to nurture it, care for it and maintain it. When an entrepreneur is a little bit more seasoned, they’re able to devote more time to other things but in the beginning, it is a huge sacrifice of their personal time. As someone who is inspired to date one, you have to be able to understand their drive and determination. In general, I’ve seen fellow entrepreneurs end up with people who are also independent which allows them the space to pursue their dreams. So you may want to consider either “having a life” yourself outside of dating the entrepreneur or explore options with someone who has more time to spend with you.
· Financial Resources (or lack thereof) – In the entrepreneur’s world, we have a favorite saying, “closed mouths don’t get fed”. Nowhere is that more true than in business ownership. “Money talks…people listen”. It’s quite different than a regular “9 to 5” job where you have stable pay on a weekly or monthly basis. In the entrepreneur’s world, they must continue to make sales in order to have a thriving, profitable business. So when you date an entrepreneur, you may experience a roller coaster ride when it comes to their income making it harder for them to date you consistently. You know, one week they are living luxuriously and spending lots of money on you in 5 star restaurants and the next week, they are eating at McDonald’s or cooking low budget meals at home.
· Being Highly Ambitious (the good…the bad…the ugly!) – Ambition is a key asset every entrepreneur must have in their repertoire. You need to be able to believe the business can succeed. You need to be a go-getter! Most women love this quality in men, by the way! But in my observations, this same asset can turn into a liability quickly when the entrepreneur starts to become unrealistic or a perfectionist. And while this may be a key advantage in business, it may not be so great for the people they love. Everyone they date has to measure up to their high standards and ideals. No one is ever perfect in their eyes! For someone who wants to date an entrepreneur, you may be judged according to their philosophy too!
· Dealing with endless rejection – Every successful entrepreneur knows rejection is just a part of the job. Most of the offers you make, will not necessarily render a sale. Seasoned entrepreneurs know this and accept it. However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t’ still sting! Over a period of time, rejection can get to you and damage your pride making you feel depressed. When you’re dating an entrepreneur, you need to be fully supportive of them so that you can help them minimize this impact and help them focus on their goals and aspirations.
· The Issue Of Depression – No one likes to talk about this but I’ve seen many entrepreneurs get depressed because of either a hostile client, they’re lacking the necessary financial resources or them not achieving the success that they had hoped. There is no other time for the need of family and friends to support them than at this moment. Just think about it. An entrepreneur’s business is the result of “blood, sweat and tears”. They give the business their all and expect it to prosper. When it doesn’t, they feel like giving up and this is the time they need you. In most entrepreneur’s eyes, going back to a “9 to 5” job is not an option which raises the stakes enormously and increases their chances of feeling depressed. You are the one person who can give them hope and snap them out of their funk. If you can do this while dating this person, you’re sure to be rewarded in the end.
· Jealous of the other woman (the business!) – He or she isn’t devoting enough time to you because they’re always working. They’re always on call. They had to cancel the date with you because their client’s appointment ran over the time allotted. It’s easy to get jealous when you don’t understand the lifestyle, the hustle and the grind upon which they have to endure to achieve success. Listen, I’m not saying they shouldn’t make you a priority but you do need to be a little more flexible because they’re probably working hard to provide for their family (or future one with you!). But don’t forget you have options too! You have to decide if the person is really worth the wait and/or the sacrifice in time or whether you need to explore other alternatives. I’m all about people making their dating lives a priority but when dating an entrepreneur, you have to realize that dating may not be their top priority at this time in their lives.
· Fame, fortune and popularity – This is the result of all the hard work and sacrifice the entrepreneur has put into their business. But to someone who is dating such a person, this can seem overwhelming and leave you with feelings of inferiority. Just realize this is the culmination of all their dreams coming true. Try to be happy for them at this moment in their lives. Allow your mate to enjoy their newfound success but be careful of them making you an “afterthought”. You know, some people let fame and fortune go to their head, get a big ego and forget who helped them rise to the top. If you feel like is happening to you, then you may want to have a discussion with your partner while also re-evaluating whether this relationship is still the one for you. On the other hand, if the relationship was a good one, your partner will certainly recognize your efforts in helping them and be happy to share the spotlight with you.
To summarize, dating an entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart. It takes a strong person to endure the effort it takes to date one. Whether it’s the quality of time spent together, the financial roller coaster ride, rejection, perfectionism, depression and even jealously of how much time they spend in their business. The spouse of an entrepreneur needs to be independent, yet supportive and flexible in the relationship. Not everyone is capable of having this type of relationship. Yet, if you do decide to go this route, you won’t be sorry. When you find entrepreneurs who are passionate about what they do, this often translates to every area of their lives, including the people in which they love and that could include you!
Thanks for reading
Please visit my website at www.liveloveaspire.com for more information on our relationship coaching services and for a free 15 minute consultation.
Please also connect with us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/liveloveaspiredatecoach